Having pain in hip joint. X-rays results showed some osteopenia. Recommended calcium and vitamin D. Remedy?

Dec 2012

I have been having pain in my right hip joint for about 3 months. My doctor sent me for xrays, which initially showed a "spot" on my hip, but additional xrays did not reveal any spots, only some osteopenia. No other abnormalities. The pain has not gone away. It is only in my hip, deep inside the joint, it seems like. My doctor recommended calcium and Vitamin D, with no follow up. Where do I go from here? My pain is worse at night when my leg is stationary, or after sitting for a long time. Walking around on it does not make it worse. The pain is a dull ache which wells up randomly, then subsides. I can make it worse, I found out, by wearing shoes with a heel. I have to wear flats all the time. I have no other symptoms. The pain does not shoot or go down my leg or anything like that. I have noticed I am much more fatigued, however, and my appetite is not what it used to be. What do I do next?
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Given your age and your presenting symptoms it will be wise to consider investigating further on bone and soft tissue diseases such as pathologic fracture, osteomalacia, osteoporosis, osteomyleitis etc. The supplements (calcium and vitamin D) given to you might help, but you will need probably be placed on other medications depending on the cause of your pains.
I suggest you book an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for proper assessment and treatment. From the way you are describing your pain, you will definitely need to be placed on pain meds.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Having pain in hip joint. X-rays results showed some osteopenia. Recommended calcium and vitamin D. Remedy? 3 hours later
Wouldn't the hip x-rays have shown a fracture or other conditions of the bone? I'll see if my primary doctor will give me a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 28 minutes later
Not necessarily. X-ray will not be able to detect other diseases. You might require much specific imagery exams such as MRI or CT scan to tell what is happening exactly.

Dr. Nsah