Tonsils and frequent bouts of strep throat, sinus. Feeling dizzy, weak, headaches. Any ideas ?

I still have my tonsils and have frequent bouts of strep throat and sinus infections about every 3-4 months. However, in the past few weeks I have developed extreme fatigue, dizziness, weakness, pain along the base of my skull like the glands in the back of my neck are swollen, sinus pressure in my face and horrible headaches--- I went to my PCP doctor this week and they took sinus xrays which came back negative for infection. They told me they think it could be a virus or maybe allergies? I take Zyrtec and Advil daily but this headache is driving me crazy and I'm SO tired all the time....... any ideas or recommendations?
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later
Your history suggests that most probably your tonsils are sore & swollen and you may be suffering with recurrent Tonsillitis and Sinusitis.
For relief, you can take a full course of proper antibiotic after culture & sensitivity of throat swab. Gargles with warm saline water will help. Avoid milk before going to bed. If it still recurs, you can opt for Tonsillectomy.

As per your X-ray, your sinuses are clear. Sinusitis creates problem when sinuses get blocked. Inhalation of water vapours gives relief in sinusitis. If glands in the back of your neck are swollen, you can get F.N.A.C.test done (to find out the reason).

Your main problem of fatigue, dizziness, weakness, headache & tiredness seems to be due to interaction between drugs you are taking. As per details provided in current medication, you are taking Zyrtec(Ceterizine) and Celexa(Citalopram) daily, which can give all the symptoms (if taken together), with which you are suffering. Further T.Advil contains only 200mg of ibuprofen,which is not sufficient to give relief from headache.

In allergic disorders total Eosinophilic count increases. It will be better if can discuss all this with your treating Doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. I can assist you, if you have any further question.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Tonsils and frequent bouts of strep throat, sinus. Feeling dizzy, weak, headaches. Any ideas ? 4 hours later
What is an F.N.A.C. test?
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again,
F.N.A.C.(Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) is a diagnostic procedure, in which a thin hollow needle is inserted in the superficial lump/mass (swollen Glands/Lymph nodes in the back of your neck), and aspirate is taken to perform cytological examination, which helps in knowing the cause of the problem.
I hope I have answered your query.
Wish you good health,