Tonsillectomy done. Feeling cramp and tightening in neck and back of tongue. Solution?

ENT Specialist
I had my tonsillectomy done 6 days ago and have been feeling a lot if cramping and tightening in the fronting my neck and back of throat/tongue. Why is this and what can I do to prevent it because it is extremely painful.. Along with my ears but I know nothing can be done about those at this point. Anything would be helpful as my doctor has not been reachable and it's the weekend.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query

I have gone through your query regarding post operative feeling of cramping and tighteningin the neck on turning down on front and back, this is also at back of tongue.

Considering your symptoms and consequences of feelings of post operative phase every thing is normal, and this feeling occurs due to post operative swelling in the tonsillar fossa and the surrounding near by structures likeback of tongue and side wall of pharynx.

Since only 6 days had passed of tonsillectomy therefore you are most probably be on antibiotics, anti inflammatory and decongestant. You are also being given antiseptic gargling.

If with the post operative prescription you are feeling much discomfort this indicates slough in tonsillar fossa and that can be cleared by antiseptic gargling.

I hope this will help you.

Follow-up: Tonsillectomy done. Feeling cramp and tightening in neck and back of tongue. Solution? 1 hour later
I was put on the hydrocodone and some liquid numbing gel to do as needed although that doesn't help too much. I'm trying to relax and let what's going to happen, happen but it's so hard to function with such high pain level. Even the hydrocodone isn't doing a while lot for me anymore. It's very frustrating. I'm using heat on the back of my neck for the stiffness and ice on the front for the soreness. I also try and tuck the ends of the heat pad under my ears as well to relieve some of the pain in my ears. Also, when do the scabs start to fall off? I've been drinking so much water each day and at night I've been setting alarms every hour to get up and drink water so it doesn't get too dehydrated. I'm trying to do everything right because I have a wedding I'm singing in on April 27th and as of right now I can't even talk without pain. Any suggestions for the rest of my recovery that can lead me bak to my old healthy self in time to sing in the wedding ??
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 29 minutes later

Thanks for reconsultation.

Regarding your present problem I will recomond you little stronger analgesicas tab Ultracet ( this is a combination of paracetamol 500 mg + tramadol 37.5 mg )twice in a day , along with rest of antibiotic etc which you are already taking.