Tonsil is hard with bump at the back. Swollen and tender neck. History of tonsillitis. What could be causing this?

My right tonsil is hard with a flesh colored bump at the back. While it is tender, it is not a full fledged sore throat. The lymph node in my neck below the ear feels swollen and tender. There is no sign of infection though the tonsil itself has some white lines, "mapping, on the flesh.
I have a history of tonsilitis, pharyngitis, strep throat.
What could be the cause of these symptoms?
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 38 minutes later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

From your history, it appears that you might have pharyngitis /tonsillitis since you say that your lymph node on the right side of the neck,just below the ear is tender.. it points to some sort of inflammation or infection.

I would advise you to visit an ENT specialist for a thorough check up , as you might have to be started on antibiotics, if the tender lymph node is due to tonsillitis or pharyngitis.

In the meantime, you could try warm saline gargles 3 times a day.

Drink plenty of warm water and fluids.

Do not drink cold drinks, ice creams etc.

Hope I have answered your question. In case you don't have any further questions, kindly accept my answer . Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan