Ask a Dentist   »  

Tongue feels rough. Due to excessive brushing?

my tongue feels rough,could this be caused by over brushing it?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
The rough feeling of the tongue is not likely to be related to frequent brushing.
It is more commonly seen in deficiency disorders like Vitamin B complex deficiency, iron deficiency anaemia, dehydration, fungal inffections like oral thrush, etc. A direct examination is the only way to get it diagnosed.
You can start taking vitamin B complex supplements and keep yourself adequately hydrated.
In some cases, no pathology is detected and it is related to a physiological variation.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Tongue feels rough. Due to excessive brushing? 12 hours later
thankyou for your help,i will get some b vitamins ,i also get a build up of a whitish coating on the back of the tongue and looks hairyish.could this be thrush i can brush it off but still a bit of white remains and gets worse when i eat.

Thanks for writing again.
There are many things which can cause white coating on tongue such as:
1)Leukoplakia:In this white patches develop in the mouth including tongue.It usually develops due to irritation as in people eating tobacco.
2)Thrush:It is a yeast infection in white patches and can develop after taking a course of antibiotics.
3)Vitamin deficiency,poor oral hygiene is also a cause.
I would probably link it to poor oral hygiene or the vitamin deficiency.

It is likely to diminish gradually.

Drink lots of water.

Clean the tongue with Tongue scraper or with toothbrush itself.

Avoid smoking and caffeinated drinks as tea and coffee.
Have lots of yoghurt in diet.

If the coating is persistent then you might consider visiting a dentist for examination of the oral cavity to rule out any infection.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.