Told to have ADHD, spacing out, feel completely lost, short attention span and problem sleeping. Advise?

At 10 years old I was I told I had ADD or ADHD, not sure exactly which one.. but now at 19 years old, I find myself spacing out, someone would tell me something and they think im ignoring them but I didn't receive anything they said, sometimes it feels like I have a short attention span at times, cant sit still, I have problems sleeping, I just feel completely lost at times... and im very booksmart but struggle with common sense and simple tasks sometimes... I just don't understand what is wrong with me
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be an ADHD

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
You were diagnosed as ADHD in childhood. Basically the presentation, and management of ADD and ADHD are almost the same and the recent system of classification doesn't differentiate between both of them.
The current symptoms that you are stating suggest that you are still having symptoms of adhd. With age hyperactivity component reduces and only inattention component persists. You should certainly take treatment to reduce your symptoms and there will be a lot of improvement in your quality of life.
The possible medicines for your illness are :
1) Bupropion. Normally in my clinic i give it in a dosage of 150 mg ones or twice a day.
2) Methylphenidate. This is also a good drug for adult adhd and will improve the attention span. it is available in sustained release form and it is mostly taken during day time.
Unfortunately on the XXXXXXX platform i may not be able to provide you with a prescription.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.