Toe started turning back. Medical cure?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
why is one of my toes turning black? I XXXXXXX t have diabetes!
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 25 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
Without seeing it it is hard to evaluate is it only hypostatic dermatitis or real gangrene. Black toes are not resulting only from diabetes. Any kind of vascular insufficiency caused by arterial thrombosis, atherosclerosis, embolism or venous thrombosis lead to toes changes. As I see, you have already had serious occlusive vascular disorders and aortal aneurysma so you have increased risk of embolism and artery occlusion. This is obviously reason for your toes to turn black. you should go to hospital because serious infection can occur, it can be treated by heparin in first stage,but sometimes amputation is inevitable.In every case you must consult vascular surgeon.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow-up: Toe started turning back. Medical cure? 7 hours later
Dr. Romic.......thank you for your response. I was afraid it might be vascular related but hoped that there might be something maybe a little simpler and perhaps easier to treat. I have no other follow-up questions.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 50 minutes later
Unfortunately there is no easy treatment. Symptoms of vascular insufficency affect foot and toes first and then develop proximally.
Wish you good health. Regards.