Toe feels numb after nail fell off due to brown spot. Suggest

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
First there was a brown spot on my toe....later the nail fell off....it grew back now the toe is numb it feels like it has spread to another toe
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Peripheral vascular disease. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. The symptoms as mentioned in your post can be attributed to peripheral vascular disease. In this there is decrease in blood supply to the lower limb due to an obstruction in the blood vessels. As a result, there is death of the tissues (toe nail) & the nerves are also affected resulting in sensation of numbness. Investigation like Doppler Ultrasound of the affected limb can be done to detect the site of obstruction & take subsequent management step. Kindly let us know about the following: 1. Any history of injury/ trauma to the leg? 2. Any significant past history of Hypertension, Diabetes, Thyroid abnormality, etc.? 3. Any other associated features like inability to concentrate or remember things, dizziness, visual disturbances, pain in calf muscles after walking, etc.? 4. Any history of prolonged intake of certain medications? 5. Habit of smoking or alcohol consumption? A knowledge of the above mentioned facts will be helpful for us to make a better diagnosis & formulate an appropriate management plan. If possible, also attach a photograph of your toe. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.

Follow-up: Toe feels numb after nail fell off due to brown spot. Suggest 12 minutes later
1.Any history of injury/ trauma to the leg? when this first started to happen I had an issue with my knee ....it was very painful at times to walk and I had to do a lot of walking at work.... 2. Any significant past history of Hypertension, yes I have hypertension 3. Any other associated features like inability to concentrate or remember things, Yes I have an issue with remembering things 4.alcohol consumption? I drink 3 to 5 beers a day Also on the same leg, a few years ago when I would sit for a period of time there was an uncomfortable feeling in leg just above or below my knee I can't recall...I had an ultra sound and according to them there was no blockage...that doesn't happen anymore....

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Peripheral vascular disease. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your follow up query. The history of Hypertension, alcohol consumption & symptoms of pain after walking indicate towards decreased in blood supply to the legs due to an obstruction to blood flow & neuropathy (damage to the nerves) as mentioned in my previous answer. Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of nervigenic agents (like Vitamin B6, Vitamin B 12, Folic acid) as well as multivitamin & multimineral supplements including iron, calcium & Vitamin D needs to be added in your diet to help in blood formation & nerve conduction. Avoid alcohol consumption as it will further aggravate the situation. If symptoms still persist, a fresh estimation of blood pressure level & Doppler Ultrasound of the affected leg will be needed along with few other investigations like estimation of blood glucose level, lipid profile & liver function test. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.