Toddler tested for thyroid level. Findings are slightly elevated. Is this normal?

Sep 2012

Hello Dr
My child when born we took test and thyroid level normal . But today we had a check again and it showing thyroid level 0.382uIU/ml and FREE T4 Level 1.84 ng/dl
She is now 17 months is it normal?
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, the report you have mentioned here, indicates a normal free T4 level and TSH level. Because, we clinically take 0.3 as a lower value for TSH. And free T4 is also within upper limit.

I think, in this stage, you do not have to worry. Many conditions can modify the result. Mainly, thyroid profile is done in morning in empty stomach. If the blood was taken in other time of day, the report may show mild change from the actual value.

So, in my opinion, you should wait and watch. If you find any abnormality, you should seek medical attention immediately.

It will be better to do thyroid profile test every year. And you should keep following up with your treating doctor.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.