Toddler having mild fever. Not cured after giving calpol, mox drop and antibiotic. Worrisome

Pediatrician
Question
My 2 month old daughter has temperature recording between 98.5 to 98.9 for the past 6 days. For the last 5 days i have administered Calpol twice a day. My doc has prescribed Mox drops from tomorrow, Is it ok to start antibiotics for a 2 month baby. The moment i stop calpol her temperature rises to 99 and the highest she recorded was 99.5. Please advise I am really worried
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 18 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

I understand your concern,

Relax, there is nothing to worry as temperature is below 100F.
I suggest you to:
- Record temperature every 6 hourly.
- Give calpol drops as per dosage (15 mg/kg) if temperature is above 99F (Axillary temperature)
- You can give amoxicillin drops to 2 month old,it is totally safe.
- Continue feeding.

In case fever persist / she becomes lethargic / there is refusal of feeds - get her re evaluated by pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health.

God bless!!

Follow-up: Toddler having mild fever. Not cured after giving calpol, mox drop and antibiotic. Worrisome 1 hour later
Thanks a ton Doctor for the quick response. Today I have given her calpol twice one at 7 am that time she had 98.8 degree temperatureand and the other dose at 11 am then she was 97.7 degree. At 1 pm her temperature was 97.6 degree. Should i continue to adminsiter calpol and each time I gave 6 drops. Is that fine? Also she demands I keep carrying her, she refuses to sleep on the bed. However her urine output is good about 10-12 times and also feeds well. Also I havent give her a bath since last monday but for sponge bath. Can I bathe her today, will she feel better?

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 2 hours later

Thanks for your follow up.

Since temperature is in normal range now so there is no need to give calpol.
Also this is very good that she is accepting feeds normally and is passing adequate urine.
Monitor her temperature 6 hourly for 2 days
Watch her activity.

You can bathe her,there is no harm .

Your baby will be fine soon.

Let me know if you have any further query.
Take care!!