Toddler has developed chest congestion, runny nose. What treatment should be done?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My 7 month old has developed chest congestion following a week of runny nose and breaking in of 1st tooth. She is eating less but nursing the same amount. It is just starting to cause a lot of coughing ( sounds productive) .. Low to no fever. What can I do ?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 14 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Usually appetite and oral intake will decrease with in kids with infections, cold, and cough.

Once the child gets recovery from this symptoms, her appetite will improve.

For her cough you can give cough drops containing mucolytic agent like ambroxol.

Ambroxol is a prescribed drug so requires prescription from a doctor.

At the same time her throat and lungs have to be examined by a Pediatrician to look for any abnormal signs or infection.

Therefore I advise you to consult her Pediatrician for the examination of the child and for prescription of drugs.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Toddler has developed chest congestion, runny nose. What treatment should be done? 17 minutes later
My baby is only 7 months old! What medicines can be prescribed? Or do I have to let this run its course? Is there a chance it could become pneumonia ?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back.

For your 7 months old baby medication like ambroxol drops can be given for cough in a prescribed dosage as advised by your Pediatrician.

Ambroxol is a mucolytic agent which helps the child to loosen the thick mucus so that it will be cleared easily from his throat.

Cough it self wont lead to pneumonia.

Lots of coughing causes very much discomfort to the child and difficulty in clearing the thick mucus within the throat, so it should be taken care by giving cough medication.

But child with a cough needs physical examination by the Pediatrician to assess throat and lungs and to prescribe appropriate medication to decrease the cough.

Regards.

Follow-up: Toddler has developed chest congestion, runny nose. What treatment should be done? 1 hour later
So will these drops break up the mucus in the chest? Baby sounds like she is getting laryngitis from the sound of her crying/ babbling... I had same symptoms two weeks ago and all went away on its own- including chest congestion which was mild. I will take baby to regular pediatrician but I can't get an appointment this week... Is there anything that leads us to believe this requires the drops? ( bacterial? Or viral?) runny nose is fairly clear- very light tint of yellow when I clear it with the mucus bulb...

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 26 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Ambroxol drops will break the thick mucus in the throat and helps to clear the airways.

There may be involvement of larynx as you are describing her sound while crying or babbling is different.

It is looking like to be of viral as it started with you and followed by a running nose then cough in the child and there is no fever.

The severity, difficulty, frequency of cough and discomfort of the child while coughing and clearing the mucus will usually decide the requirement of mucolytic drops.

I advise you to consult your Pediatrician as early as possible for the examination of the child.

And watch for any concerning symptoms and signs like fast breathing, stridor, irritability, difficulty in feeding, bluish discoloration of hands and feet and report ER if they present.

Wish your daughter speedy recovery.

Regards.