Tingling in hands and feet, weakness, could not walk, unconscious. What could it have been?

Jan 2013

I was traveling, developed a cold, took non-drowsy cold medicine, lots of caffei
ne coffee, tea, etc. Helped husband drive twice for 2-3 hours ea.
Stopped at rest stop. Tingling in hands and feet, weakness couldn't walk. Immediately couldn't breathe. Great difficulty.
Husband ignored symptoms. got in van. Enroute from Mt. XXXXXXX in IL went unconscious, stopped breathing twice. 10 year old twins beat on my chest. Finally taken to emergency. BP reading 148/89. Never in my life have I had a systolic reading over 102. I am 58. What could it have been. In emergency room. Disoriented, slurred speech. Wheelchair. Heavy breathing.
Gave me nothing. Monitored me. Put something over my mouth. Gave me antibiotic for cold and sent me home. Was in bed for two weeks and had a reaction to sulfer in meds. What happened to me?
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 34 minutes later
What were your symptoms when you think that you have developed "cold"?
Do you have some sort of allergy?
Have you developed fever at that time?
Presence of following symptoms suggest cardiac etiology behind your all symptoms: difficulty in breathing, weakness, tingling in hands and feet (may be in hypotension), twin beats, rise in BP (may occur in stressful condition due to sympathetic system activation), disorientation (may occur in hypotensive state).
Development of cold with difficulty in respiration, disorientation, twin beats is not acceptable.
What was ECG, Chest x XXXXXXX and blood investigations finding at that time?
Was there any abnormality in ECG (as you were feeling twin beat)? Your ECG was normal or showing some sort of arrhythmias.
Have you undergone 2 D Echo and coronary angiography? What was the reports of these investigations.
Presence of fever is the only sign which can suggest infectious etiology, rest of your symptoms suggest cardiac etiology.
You should consult with physician and cardiologist and should go for 2 D Echo and coronary angiography (if not done previously)
Heart ailment is to be rule out for safety and this is must.
If cardiac evaluation is normal, then you should consult with respiratory physician and should go for spirometry for lung functionary status.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava