Tightness in calves, forearm constricted with red spots. Issue with veins in breast, neck, arms. Cause?

Three weeks ago and suddenly began experiencing a tightness and feeling of fullness in both calves as well as a burning/itching feeling above my ankles. About two weeks after this started, I was driving home fro work and my right forearm suddenly felt constricted and then it subsided after a several seconds. Within seconds I have several red spots going up my forearm. A few days after that, I was changing clothes and looked in the mirror and the veins in my breast, chest, neck and chin were extremely looked like someone had drawn a road map on with blue-green marker. I went to my the ER at my local hospital. They did a general blood test and urine test. The results came back fine for liver, kidneys, etc. They told me they had no idea what was causing all of these symptoms and to go home and rest. I'm still having the issue with my legs although it's not as sever as it was a week ago. I am also still having the issue with the veins in my chest, breast, neck, arms, comes and goes...sometimes they are extremely visable sometimes not. What could be causing all of these issues at once?
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

As I understand from your question your major concern is what happened three weeks ago. Tightness and fullness of calves and forearm suggest something to do with blood returning to your heart by veins getting obstructed. It can lead to a sensation of constriction and also red spots which had appeared on forearm. The road map like appearance of veins can just be normal in a concerned person or again obstruction. As your history goes, all this was self limiting. This fact plus multiple areas of involvement excludes thrombo-embolic occlusion. So from a cardiologist's point of view, I would say that you have nothing to worry about.

Two other causes for venous occlusive like disease are one tendency of your blood to stagnate and second is external compression of veins by other organs like lymph nodes. The latter would have been excluded by a complete physical examination. So, we are left with functional disorders of blood components like platelet and clotting factors. Consult a clinical hematologist, who can advise what tests are needed as these are performed in a specialized laboratory and not routinely performed. Lastly, a condition akin to varicose veins produces such symptoms and signs. It is idiopathic (that is without any known cause) so no cause for worry only of concern.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow ups.