Thyroid removal done, feel shakiness in the morning, hand numbness. Thyroid related?

Excellent

Endocrinologist
Question
Recently had thyroid removed due to cancer. Could that cause me to have shakiness mostly In the morning about 45 min after breakfast.. It happens more so if I have more carbs than protein. The lab forgot to do the TSH level on my last blood work but because the rest oft the blood work came back in normal range ...... t4 border high the Dr didn't change perscription Don't know if related but the last couple days sometimes my hands feel like their falling a sleep while I am typing Do you think it is thyroid related issues?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shivaprasad C 24 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. There are 3 possiblities which I can think of- hypocalcemia due to parathyroid gland removal, high free T4 levels and 3rd hypoglycemia due to high insulin levels. Check blood glucose and BP during the episodes. If BG low or BP is hogh further evaluation is warranted. Take low glycemic index carbs like whole grain bread, sprouts and unrefined cereals. Avoid simple sugars and sweets which cause a surge in insulin levels. Taking more protein is advisable even otherwise for breakfast. Check calcium and thyroid profile during next visit. Try to take a small snack about 2 - 3 hr post breakfast.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Thyroid removal done, feel shakiness in the morning, hand numbness. Thyroid related? 4 hours later
So on past fasting blood work the glucose was slightly high at 110. If it is due to high t4 what causes that and what might I do while I wait for my next blood test in two months. Did not have parathyroid removed just thyroid. Blood work in March
T4 11.1. Free t4 1.3. Total t3 60.1. TSH 25.1

Answered by Dr. Shivaprasad C 9 hours later
Your TSH is still quite high not T4 and free T4. It must be got back to normal.it may take another few weeks. Dont skip thyroiid tablets. Take them 1st thing in morning and give a gap of 1 hour after that before taking anything else.Better get calcium also checked then. During the time of the episode if possible check blood glucose with glucometer and bloid pressure. Our aim shud be to detect any biochemical abnormality and correct it. I think this problem is transient and will rssolve when thyroid function gets to normal. Its not normal as yet. One isolated high FBS is not relevant. Get a GTT during next visit and HBA1c too.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Thyroid removal done, feel shakiness in the morning, hand numbness. Thyroid related? 16 minutes later
110-115 is my usual FBS even before thyroid removal. What is GTT and HBA1 do I just call my Dr and ask him to add to lab script HBA1 I'm suppose to. Yes take pill every moring same time on empty stomach an hour before I eat anything. So meanwhile what to do for shakes?

Answered by Dr. Shivaprasad C 3 minutes later
GTT is glucose tolerance test. HbA1c is blood test for 3 month blood glucose average. If its not too bothering and only occuring once a day better not take anything. If its prrsistant we can think about beta blocker.
Shivaprasad