Thyroid problem, irregular periods after delivery

My sister was suffering from thyroid problem and after her second child delivery she is suffering from irregular periods and thyroid problem she is 40 years old
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thyroid hormone irregularities are often associated with menstrual irregularities too.
The newborn child also needs to be investigated for any thyroid hormone abnormalities as this might affect his growth and development.
The irregular bleeding that your sister is having can be due to uterine fibroids, polyps or hormonal disturbances. For diagnosis, she needs to have an ultrasound scan of lower abdomen and some blood tests.
Laboratory assessment of hemoglobin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin, T4, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), and androgen profile can be done.
The management will be done according to the abnormality detected.

You might consult her OB-GYN who can do the needed tests and initiate the proper therapy.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.