Thyroid nodules,ultrasound,normal TSH levels,movement in throat

do you answer regarding thyroid issues
2 nodules 4mm and 6mm , mildly enlarged diffuse inhomogenous tsh 3.3 . adviced repeat us in six months age 41 height 5. 4 weight 150 pounds. feel like something is moving in throat. what is the chance of being this malignant. should i be concerned
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

The thyroid nodules detected on Ultrasound scan are very small- only 4mm and 6mm in size.

All the thyroid nodules do move with the movement of throat like swallowing as the thyroid gland itself remains attached to the cartilage covering the esophagus.

These thyroid nodules are generally associated with hypo or hyperthyroidism depending on the activity of the nodules. It is good that your TSH levels are normal indicating that these are inactive or cold nodules.

Most of the cold nodules are benign in nature and remain like that without any change for years in which case no treatment is needed unless the nodules are large enough to produce cosmetic problems.

In such a case usually these are monitored every six months for any rapid growth or irregularity of margins in which case further investigations and removal of nodules surgically is indicated.

Right now to exactly know the nature of nodules you can go for an FNAC under the guidance of your physician.

Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with you. Do not worry.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Thyroid nodules,ultrasound,normal TSH levels,movement in throat 41 hours later
i really needed an endocrinologist opinion. if possible can you pass my question to an endocrinologist or thyroid specialist.
here are my result
tsh 3.3
thyrotropin3.55 normal range is .35-5.00
free throxine free t4-16 rang is 9-16

fre triidothronine 4.5 rang is 3.5-6.5
anti tpo < 10 range <35
thyroglobulin .8 low range is 1.6- 60.0

trab (tsi) <1.0 normal

i have symptoms of hypothyroidism like fatigue memory loss tired, cold intolreance
high ldl
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Your thyroid function tests are within normal limits. For the mild symptoms of hypothyroidism, treatment is given only when at least TSH levels are deranged. You need to wait and monitor the nodules and blood tests every six months.
I had a few discussion with an endocrinologist working in my hospital. A curbside consult from an endocrinologist was done here too. They agree with my advice too and they give similar opinion. So do not worry.
Wishing you an early recovery.

Follow-up: Thyroid nodules,ultrasound,normal TSH levels,movement in throat 25 hours later
thanks . I had a question. what would be my chance of having a baby considering the fact that i have thyroid nodules otherwise my health is fine.exept for my age. do you advice having a baby at 41 . what precautions needs to be taken
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.

Planning for a baby at 41 is a high risk pregnancy.

You might face some complications in delivery and baby needs to have triple screen done for any congenital malformations.

Also, thyroid levels need to be monitored closely to rule out hypothyroidism.

Still you can plan for a baby if you need to.

None of the above is a contraindication to conceive.