Thyroid level not controlled by Thyronorm. Increase in TSH level.

I am using thyronorm for last 12 months and thyroid level is not getting controlled, current tsh is 23.6 4 months back it was 22.11
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 1 hour later

I do understand that you are a 29 year old male being treated with Thyronorm for Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid).

Thyroid gland secretes hormone known as T3 and T4. The function of thyroid gland is tightly regulated by a hormone called TSH that is secreted by the pituitary gland located in brain.

If your thyroid gland is underactive, your TSH increases. Thyronorm is nothing but the T4. Thyronorm should be taken preferably at the empty stomach for adequate absorption.

During treatment, we aim at keeping your TSH within the normal range.

If it is elevated, your dose is inadequate and has to be increased. Since your TSH is 23.6, you would require increase in dose of thyronorm.

I hope, this answers your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.