Thumbnail started splitting, gaining belly fat. Is this related to thyroid issue?

I have some small, but deep horizontal ridges in my thumbnail. These are fairly new (4-5 months). Also, both of my thumbnails are splitting at the ends. All other fingernails are perfectly fine. I have also gained more belly fat than normal in recent months. I have read some information that this could be related to Thyroid issues. I am not overweight (6'0 192lbs) with muscle.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 2 hours later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Thyroid disorders may cause brittle nails and ridges and splitting of the nail from nail plate.
You may get your thyroid hormone levels checked if you have any other symptoms. Fat gain is not usually due to thyroid.

Nail ridges are also possible in other diseases like kidney failure, malnutrition (Beau’s lines).

Were you malnourished after intussusception surgery, if intestine was pertly resected? How long back was it done?

Please describe any other symptom you may have.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

Follow-up: Thumbnail started splitting, gaining belly fat. Is this related to thyroid issue? 7 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. My intussusception and surgery occurred in April of 2012. I would say I was not malnourished during this time. Other symptoms that have occurred for the past year is random spells of being light headed. This occurs mainly when I spend longer than 30 minutes lifting weights in the gym or if I'm standing for a long period of time even at work.
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 21 minutes later
Malnutrition is unlikely then.
Can check thyroid and kidney status, hemogram and a physical exam by a good physician. Subtle nutritional issues may not be observed by you. Ask your doctor if you have any deficiencies.

It helps us to improve continuously if you could please write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!