Throat pain while swallowing, fever, negative throat culture, flatulence, bitter taste in mouth, not wheezing. What can it be?

Excellent

Infertility Specialist
Question
About 4 days ago I started to feel pain on one side of my throat when swallowing. Then I began to feel feverish. The past two nights I have had 103.5 fever. When I take Advil it gets rid of the fever until it wears off. Now the pain has moved over to the right side of my throat and seems worse. I visited a doctor who took a throat culture, the results of which were negative. He also says that my throat does not look too bad.
Some other symptoms that have surfaced since then that may or may not be related:

Flatulence - short and loud
Bitter taste when eating
Minor body aches
Loss of appetite

I do feel energetic as long as the fever is kept down and I am not congested. I also am not wheezing or coughing excessively.

For some reason my doctor does not think there are enough symptoms to indicate the flu.
( as a side note, my wife is 6 months pregnant)
What can it be?

Thank you
XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 29 minutes later

I have read your problem and I understand your concerns.

The symptoms you mentioned are indicative of viral fever. This is different from bacterial infection leading to fever. Since you are suffering from minor form of viral fever, it is responding well to Advil. Throat pain is due to congestion and edema which gets better soon.

When a person has viral fever, the symptoms as loss of appetite, bitter taste and body aches are common as you are undergoing. The fever will be high initially and comes down slowly. Generally you will recover within a week and free of fever.

Your physician is correct in denying to label the fever as it will pass away by itself. As of now you need to take only supportive treatment. Please continue the Advil you are taking for another 3 days. Drink plenty of water and take rest for another 3 days. Let me reassure you that this is a minor fever and you will be fine and relieved of fever in 3 days.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available to answer any other queries you have. If no more queries, please accept my answer and close this discussion.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Throat pain while swallowing, fever, negative throat culture, flatulence, bitter taste in mouth, not wheezing. What can it be? 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your response.

About the throat pain, you mention that it is because of congestion however other then the throat pain I really do not feel very congested - other than a drop.
Right now the pain on the right side of my throat is pretty strong and even radiates into my right ear.

Could this still be because of congestion?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes. Throat pain is due to congestion only. It was on the left side earlier and now it is on the right side. In another 3 days even this will come down. Hence do not worry about it much. Just take rest and follow the advice I have given you.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol