Throat pain, swollen neck, headache. Prescribed codeine and antibiotics. Something I should worry about?

I went to my GP today and told him about throat pain, severe. At the time my neck was swollen and one side was very hard to the touch. I mentioned head and face pain and he prescribed codeine and antibiotics. But I realise now that the headache is unbearable when I lay down on either side or on my back. It seems to subside to bearable when I sit up. The left side of my face and back of my head is intensely painful and sleep is not possible. There's a pressure behind my left eye. I'm not sure if this is something I should be worried about or if I should give the medication a couple days before going back. I had a moment when I couldn't see properly out of my left eye.
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 33 minutes later

From the details that you have shared there is couple of possibilities in your case.

1. Throat infection
2. Sinusitis

The medicines given are fine. At times when the sinuses get blocked due to cold you can have this kind of severe pain.

Please do following which should help.

1. Take steam inhalation
2. Take plenty of liquids, hot ones are better
3. Take light diet
4. Take proper rest
5. You can take analgesic like Tylenol for pain.

This should help in reliving your discomfort along with medicines already given to you.

You should be fine in couple of days. In case the pain worsens, keep on increasing with above measures, please see your doctor.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Throat pain, swollen neck, headache. Prescribed codeine and antibiotics. Something I should worry about? 3 hours later
The pain was so comprehensive, I couldn't tell where it started. If it was my ear, teeth, brain, the pressure could have been anything.

When you said to try steam. I used steam, olbas oil, XXXXXXX heat, applied bonjela on the left side of my mouth and sprayed it with chloryfyll, took ibuprofen, codine and another amoxocillan tablet and sat upright for another hour. I found a position that was relatively pain-free. No amount of exhaustion could match the relief from it when seated in exactly the right position. Eventually, I fell asleep about 5AM.

You were right. I can now touch the left side of my face without extreme misery. It's now 8:00 and I'm about to do it all again just to be sure.

I think I needed to know if I may have forgotten to report something important.

Thank you very very much.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 9 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

Please continue as advised and you will be fine.

In case you have nothing more to share or ask,please close the query and give your valuable feed back.