Throat obstruction, skin near epiglottis hanging, had tonsil stones, phlegm and throat swelling. Is there a home remedy for this?

Question
Hi! I am 28 years old, female and a smoker. From the past 3 months, I've had this feeling of something being stuck in my throat. I've gone to 2 doctors who have just given me pills that have given me no relief. I had tonsil stones recently, excess phlegm & swelling in my throat. I just noticed something new today, in purely none medical terms, the 'skin' next to the epiglottis is down, it looks like it hanging but it isn't really hanging (I am trying to explain it the best way I can). I have reduced smoking and am trying to quit. Is there a home remedy to reduce these symptoms mentioned above?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 22 minutes later

A foreign body sensation in the throat needs a thorough evaluation before it is labelled hysterical. These should be the next best steps:

First, use a steam inhalation machine for hot vapors thrice a day to melt the mucus/phlegm. You may use Karvol Plus vasocaps in the machine to give flavored vapors.

Second an over the counter like Strepsils, Vicks can be chewed to drive away the feeling. They also help to soothe an irritated throat.

Third, if the above things do not help, I wish you that you check with an ENT specialist as Tonsil stones are chronic irritants.

However, the most important and a very generic suggestion would be to quit smoking.

Hope these actions help, let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Throat obstruction, skin near epiglottis hanging, had tonsil stones, phlegm and throat swelling. Is there a home remedy for this? 16 minutes later
Thanks doc. I'll try the inhalation, I have already tried Strepsils, I get very little relief. Could you however tell me about this inflammation in the "skin" next to the epiglottis? It looks like a weighing scale, the right side looks fine, the left side is way too and I think this is what is causing the "something stuck in the throat" feeling. Would you have any idea about that?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

I presume that you were saying about Uvula, the small tongue like thing that hangs from the roof of the oral cavity (epiglottis is not seen to the eye in a mirror). It is difficult to comment about the extra tissue (skin) that you were finding. These are most near ones:

An injury to the uvula is a possibility
An inflammed tonsilar cavity/arch

You can try DISPRIN gargles once every 6 hours. This is alternate remedy.

If you find my answers useful, please accept them.

Follow-up: Throat obstruction, skin near epiglottis hanging, had tonsil stones, phlegm and throat swelling. Is there a home remedy for this? 22 minutes later
Thank you! You've been extremely helpful. I'm going to try the gargles. Appreciate your advice!

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 hours later

Pleasure to assist you further. In case you have a query in future, bring to my notice in the initial line with 'ATTN Dr. C. Mazumdar" and I will be taking it up personally.

Thanks and have a good health