Throat infection cured after taking duet 625. Throat infection is back. What should I do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my doc prescribed me cap duet 625 ,twice daily for 5 days for severe throat infection.After 5 days I was almost cured.He advised me to take cap fasigyn ds 1 daily for 6 days. But my throat infection is back and what should I do? should I continue with the same antibiotic? I am also HIV pos but not on meds
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 51 minutes later
Duet 625 contains the antibiotic amoxicillin clavulunate and Fasigyn ds contains tinidazole.
The treatment for your sore throat was appropriate and if you are still due to complete the course of fasigyn ds ( 6 days) you may continue the same .
If you have finished the course for both the antibiotics duet ( 5 days ) and fasigyn ds( 6 days) then its best to get yourself reevaluated by your doctor.
Your doctor might want to take a throat swab which can determine the exact organism causing the infection before starting any further treatment .
Sometimes depending on the clinical findings the doctor might restart a antibiotic empirically either the same ( duet) or a alternative ( like cephalosporin ) for another five day course .
Meanwhile the most important thing you can do is to drink plenty of fluids , maintain good oral hygiene , take warm salt water or alcohol based throat gargles thrice daily for a faster recovery.
Please refrain from self medication as much as possible because in case of a HIV positive individual or any immunocompromised illness even minor respiratory infections can fast progress to the chest and cause pneumonia.
So please do not worry and do get yourself reevaluated by your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.