Throat infection after open heart surgery. Suggest remedy

10 days after open heart surgery still have some mucus that causes coughing when I want to go to sleep or relax. It bothers me very very much since I can't get enough rest and sleep. I am doing the breathing exercises recommended by my doctor. Looking for some advice to clear the mucus. Thanks
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Steam inhalation,expectorant to be used Detailed Answer: Hi Dear. It is quite usual to have some throat irritation or some mild throat infection after the person has undergone anesthesia (because of Endotrachial intubation). Simple steam inhalation helps a lot in clearing the throat. Antihistaminic and decongestants medicines may help in relieving the irritation and clearing of mucus. Your treating doctor will know about the drugs. Continue the breathing exercises. Hope the query is answered, Please free for further clarification. Regards