Throat hurts while swallowing, have swollen throat and tongue. Required treatment?

Yesterday My throat became sore and hurt swallowing and became swollen. Touching throat from XXXXXXX XXXXXXX to chin feels tongue is swollen along with the sides of my neck under jaw bone. Inside mouth at back top around tonsil area feels swollen by touching with finger. I can breath fine and do not have a cough or stuffy runny nose.I do not have a high temp either.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 58 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I can read that your "swollen and hurt throat and tongue" has got you concerned. I have the following possibilities for you to consider one at a time and take further action accordingly:

1. This may be the starting symptoms of an impending infections often called as a prodromal symptom where the future infection has not set in fully without any signs of fever, cough or sputum. Gargling with warm salt water a couple of times daily can help.
2. The swelling can also be due to an unseen cause for which your tonsils may or may not be swollen. As swollen tonsils is a sign that your body is fighting infection.
3. Attempting to touch the inside of throat often may not be helpful - as it would lead to more irritation and you might feel more hurt from inside.

Hence, and ENT consultation would be needed in any case, and appropriate therapy initiated after the cause is ascertained. Antibiotics obviously if a culture is positive. Other tests may taken as necessary. If found negative, then symptomatic therapy is given without the need for antibiotics. And I do not seem to think your past medical history has any relation to this present situation.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Throat hurts while swallowing, have swollen throat and tongue. Required treatment? 39 minutes later
Ok I will gargle with warm salt water a couple times today. In the mean time make an app. For an ENT consultation does that require a specialist or are most primary docs able to test cultures? I have had mostly small colds and sinus situations in the past few years never seeking help usually not even OTC meds just waited them out. Homemade soup and raw garlic had been my attempts in past, but now it hurts pretty extreme just swallowing saliva and water although about 12 hours ago I did chop up 3 cloves raw garlic and muscled them down. It had been easier before without swollen throat and usually a stuffed nose resulting in no taste!
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 29 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

Great, you can continue with your home remedies if useful.

Yes, a primary care doctor ideally would be enough for the throat cultures unless the nasal history is not very intriguing which otherwise will necessitate a specialist consultation.

As you seem to have never had any major treatment history for this condition - you may need all the more now.

Let me know if have any further queries.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Throat hurts while swallowing, have swollen throat and tongue. Required treatment? 3 hours later
Thankyou very much on advice seen doc and was prescribed amoxicillen. Even without a culture at the urgent care. I havent been on antibiotics for a few years and did not question it, I just hope things will improve
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 4 minutes later
Thanks for the followup.

That's good, you should be better soon after the course of antibiotics.

Welcome to write to me anytime in future for other queries.

Wish you the best of health.