Testosterone results. Normal?

I'm a 30 year old male. My free testosterone results were 428 pmol/L. Is this low for my age? I have no way to compare because the measurement units do not seem to be widely used.

Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 10 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Testosterone is a male hormone and within the circulation, is principally bound to proteins, the most important of which is sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). Only about 1-2 percent of testosterone is free to enter cells in order to effect its biological actions. You either measure your free or total testosterone.

Free Testosterone is usually measured in pg/ml and the normal value is between 47.0-244.0 pg/mL, depending on the assay and instrument you use. Very rarely it is also reported in pmol/l and the normal value is usually provided by the laboratory that has done the test. Conversion is difficult as it depends on molecular weight and so many factors.

Unless we know the reagent used and assay tecqnique, we cant really comment on the value. Your laboratory would be the best source to tell you and again all the reports has to interpreted on the background of your cliical profile.

Follow-up: Testosterone results. Normal? 8 hours later
Ok, but the reason I'm asking is because I feel like I have a had a lingering virus (fatigue/naseau) for about 5 weeks now and am trying to rule out low testosterone. It feels like I have a constant mild mono virus. My body temperature is normal (slightly below)

I am otherwise happy so it is not depression.

What else could be causing this?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 2 hours later

Thanks for your follow-up.

You are 30 years old and being concerned about fatigue and nausea. I don’t really understand what you mean by lingering virus, But you fatigue can be of so many reasons.

A testosterone value has to be interpreted in the context of libido, sexual function and your other sexual characters and not merely on fatigue alone.

I am sure a complete history and clinical examination by your physician will help you find the cause.

Hope i had answered your query