Tested negative for hiv after an exposure. Rashes appeared all over body. Should I get tested again?

Hi!! I had an hiv test the combo at 7 weeks and 5 days after exposure, it was negative. I took another test at 11 weeks, it was neative. I also had a rapid test the unigold recombigen at 12 and 13 weeks it was negative. But now at almost 5 months after exposure i had a rash all over my body. The rash lasted up to 12 hrs. Should i get tested again?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 3 hours later
I am glad your test was negative at 13 weeks. With modern tests, being negative 3 months after exposure is very re-assuring, however there is a small percentage of patients that develop the "antibody" against HIV up to 6 months after, therefore the test can remain negative for up to 6 months (but this only happens in about 0.5 - 1% of the population).
Therefore I would suggest you getting re-tested, however it is unlikely that you are positive if you have not had any high risk sexual encounter since then, and you last test was negative 13 weeks after exposure.
Rash is a very common symptom, and can be secondary to multiple other diseases, including other viruses, which usually are self limited, and resolve on their own. You also have to take into account, allergies, particularly food allergies if the rash was diffuse, and medication allergic reactions.
I would suggest you visiting a primary care physician for a full physical exam and laboratory check up to be safe, and make sure all your cell counts and labs are within normal.
Hope that answered your question
Follow-up: Tested negative for hiv after an exposure. Rashes appeared all over body. Should I get tested again? 4 hours later
Thanks for your answer... Because my anxiety was on high I went to a clinic and took another hiv rapid test. It was the oraquick finger prick and it turn out to be negative!!! Considering it is week 21 after my possible exposure what are the probabilities of my result changing?
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 27 minutes later
Your probabilities of your results changing are less than 0.5 - 1%. It would be extremely unusual for it to change.
Practice safe sex, and re-check your status every once in a while.