Test showed low thyroid hormone, low globulin, high A/G ratio, low ALT and elevated albumin. Any thoughts?

I have a Total T3 result of 0.82 nmol/L and the normal range is .092-2.33 nmol/L;
my T4 is 0.84 ng/dL and the doc wrote (sub-low) next to the number and the normal range is 0.8-2.6 ng/dL; and my TSH levels are 0.87 uIU/mN, which is in the normal range of .032-5 uIU/mN. I have a noticeably enlarged thyroid and have many symptoms of hypothyroidism. What do you think of these numbers? I also have elevated Albumin levels of 4.7 and low creatinine serum levels of 0.6 (normal range 0.8-1.2 mL/dL). My liver profile indicates that I have a low globulin level of 2.3 (normal is 2.7-4.5 G/DL), a high A/G ratio of 1.9 (normal is 0.8-1.6 G/DL), and low ALT (SGPT) of 27 and the normal range is 30-65 U/L. Also my Vitamin D level is 8 (strikingly low) when the normal range is 30-100 NG/ML. Any thoughts? What type of medical care should I be seeking?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Yes, your thyroid hormone levels are at low range; though not too low as to start you on supplement thyroid hormone or alter the dosage (if you are on). A repeat thyroid hormone study can be done after 3 months and if the levels are low again then considering your clinical conditions (symptoms of hypothyroidism) we may consider starting medication or altering the dosage.

Albumin and the creatinine though out of range are not conclusive and do not point at the diagnosis or consideration of any disease.

The liver function test readings also don’t concern me. ALT is low by very narrow line and it doesn't concern me either.

Vit D however is seriously low and you may have to be started on Vit D supplements for a minimum 8 weeks.

In all, most of the values though are low, don't point to a diagnosis. We could monitor the same again especially the thyroid hormones. Nonetheless, there is a need to start vitamin D supplements. Please consult an endocrinologist for the same.

Hope I answered your query. Please do ask doubts, if any.

Follow-up: Test showed low thyroid hormone, low globulin, high A/G ratio, low ALT and elevated albumin. Any thoughts? 13 hours later
Everyone in my family (on my mom's side, including my older sister) have thyroid (hypo) problems. Does this indicate I'm going down that path?
Also, can these levels, T3, T4, and vit D, effect one's mood?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 hours later

Some of the thyroid diseases do run in families. Though there are chances of you being affected by similar condition but your current thyroid values do not indicate now. Treatment in all remains the same, thyroid hormone supplements based on the thyroid hormone levels and clinical findings.

Yes, imbalance in thyroid hormones can result in mood disturbances in some.

Hope I cleared your doubt.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.