Test results show Gonoccocal abs:1:10 and borderline titers of antibodies detected. What does the result mean?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi what does the following result mean:

Gonoccocal abs. :1:10 Titer (<1:10)

Boarderline titers of antibodies detected. Serlogically this indicates:
- early stage of seroconversion
-endemic infection
-a non-specific event
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gonococcal Antibodies

Detailed Answer:
Apologies for the late reply.
Thanks for choosing health care magic for your query.

Gonococcal infection is called gonorrhea which is one of the commonly occurring sexually transmitted infections.

Usually diagnosis is made by urine test and microscopy of discharge from the genitalia and confirmed by culture.

Antibody detection against gonococci is usually done when the above mentioned tests fail to detect the bacteria. This happens in gonococcal infection which has been there for a long time and has caused complications like arthritis.

Coming to the result mentioned in your query, antibodies detected are at the borderline level of a positive test.

This test is not confirmatory and has to be repeated. Rising titres of antibodies in consecutive test may help in diagnosis.

Let me explain the terms used in your report one by one for you to understand the result better.

1. Early stage of seroconversion: This means that it could be early stage of production of antibodies against the bacteria.

2. Endemic infection: It means that this infection commonly occurs in that particular area and this antibody titre levels are expected in persons living in that area.

3. Non specific event: This is self explanatory meaning not related to the present diagnosis.

I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.