Tenderness in right upper stomach just below rib cage. What caused this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my right upper stomach just below the rib cage feels always tender for almost two months now?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The pain in the right upper abdomen just below the ribs along with tenderness is suggestive of a few conditions such as

1. Peptic ulcers/gastritis - Hot and spicy food can induce gastritis / ulcers.
2. Liver or gall bladder inflammation or gall bladder calculi.
3. Right renal pathology- infection or calculi.
It is advisable that you get some tests done such as
a) Liver function tests done to detect any related pathology like fatty liver.
b) Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
c) Ultrasound examination will also be helpful in detecting any hepatic pathology and will rule out other probable causes like renal disease or gall bladder calculus.

You may discuss about these options with your primary doctor. Perhaps consulting a 'gastroenterologist' might also be useful and you may get the above tests under their guidance. Some medications such as antacids, proton pump inhibitors and liver supportive drugs will help in treating the problem and preventing further damage.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.