Tender nipple, swollen breast, swollen vagina, tiredness, uterus and ovary removed, on thyroid medication

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Age: 50
5'6" tall 185 lbs
Uterus and 1 ovary removed at 23 years old. On 1.25 Thyroid medication underactive.
For the last month my nipples are hurting, breast swollen and the vagina is swollen feel like I have a tampax in all the time. Always very tired.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 18 minutes later

Since when are you on Thyroid medication?
Are your thyroid hormones in control?

You could be having menopause, considering your age. This can cause breast pain, breast tenderness. Vaginal swollen feeling is directly attributed to loss of oestrogen and progesterone due to menopause.

The vagina tends to get drier and become less elastic and contracted which can give feeling of tightness and swollen, filled up feeling.

Breast pain can occur in menopause too. You need to gently palpate your breasts and behind the nipple by standard breast palpation technique to feel for any lumps, upto the armpit area. If you find any suspicious lumps you would need to get them evaluated by your Doctor.

Do you experience any hot flushing of face and neck, night sweats, irritability, tingling sensation in skin, sleeping problem, back pain. If you do have these complaints especially back pain, you should consult your Doctor. Osteoporosis can occur which means weaker bones which can prone you for easy fractures. You will need specific therapy to prevent and treat osteoporosis as decided by your Doctor.

You would be prescribed oestrogen cream which will reduce the sensation. Do get examined for any other lesions in the vagina which can also cause this problem.

These problems usually subside 4-5 years.

In some severe cases of osteoporosis, hot flushes, memory loss, you may discuss about water. Eat calcium and protein XXXXXXX diet like cereals, pulses, chicken, eggs, lean meat to prevent osteoporosis. You may eat soya bean to help reduce most of the symptoms because it has natural oestrogens which will act like human oestrogen and be of some benefit. Also daily brisk walking for 40 minutes a day which will help prevent osteoporosis and help maintain fitness.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.