Tastelessness, feeling of coating on tongue, constant urge to drink water. Help?

i am experiencing dryness, tastelessness in my mouth.
sometimes the tongue is coated but even when it is not coated, i feel that tastelessness just like the feeling when the tongue is coated.
i feel like drinking water but when i start drinking, i dont feel like drinking more.
its not that i dont have saliva in my mouth, everything seems normal except for that coated tasteless feeling on my tongue.
i live in delhi and it is quite hot here. my mother is thinking that i have caught "the loo" wind.
also she thinks that maybe i am experiencing this due to "heat in my stomach"
i dont know what it is - i do feel like scraping my tongue...

please help me out? what is this? and what should i do?
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 4 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

White coating of tongue indicates Oral Candidiasis or Oral Thrush. It is a fungal infection. It can occur due to excessive use of antibiotics, steroids or mouth wash. A white coat indicates dead cells on the tongue. That is the reason for your loss of taste as it impairs taste buds. It can cause bad breath too. Antifungal drugs like Fluconazole are used to treat oral candidiasis

Generally coated tongue indicates that your GIT function is poor. Your symptoms of constipation or diarrhea, mucous in stools, incomplete emptying of bowel, difficulty and spastic pain while passing motion all point out that you may be having a condition called Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). You should consult a physician and confirm whether you have oral thrush and IBS.

Probiotic like Lactobacillus (Bifilac HP) twice a day for 10 days will help to improve your digestion. Fermented food like Yogurt and buttermilk will regulate your digestion. Avoid spicy, fatty and greasy food. Take fiber diet, soup, steamed food, boiled vegetables, fresh fruits and plenty of water.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any further concerns.