Taking vyvance. Noticed redness and swelling on leg. Started adderall. Side effect of vyvance?

I am a 41 year old female currently taking Vyvance 30 mg for the last 3 months. The medication has helped me tremendously with hyperactivity, focus and most importantly, it has controlled the frequent angry outbursts that I had prior to beginning the medication. However, I am experiencing an exacerbation of my Raynouds particularly in my toes. A few toes are becoming quite red and swollen which seems to get worse towards the evening hours. Two years ago I was started on Adderall 10 mg and was hospitalized for purple toes. A complete cardiac workup was done and peripheral vascular disease was ruled out. The only thing that they could come up with was that the Adderall was the possible culprit at which time I d/c'd the med. I saw a Rheumatologist in the weeks following the hospitalization and he was unable to give a definitive dx of Raynauds based on his clinical examination. I am certain that I have the Raynauds based on my intolerance to cold. My fingers and toes turn completely white and numb even from very short exposures to cold (even when I am not on stimulants). My father also suffered from Raynauds. I question whether or not I should continue the Vyvance based on the problems with my toes. I would hate to stop the Vyvance, as I feel that I finally have my mind in the right place. I have suffered with ADHD for so long and always just dealt with it, all at the expense of the people who had to deal with my behavior. I have tried non stimulant meds such as Straterra but it made me so tired that I could not function at work or home. I am welcome to any suggestions that may counteract the vasoconstriction side effects that the Vyvance is causing.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Though uncommon, it is possible that stimulant drugs, like Vyvanse can produce peripheral vasoconstriction. Moreover, if you have had a similar experience with Adderall, then it is likely that Vyvanse is the culprit. It is possible that you may be having a underlying predisposition or a mild form of Raynaud's , wgich is getting exacerbated by the stimulant medication like Vyvanse or Adderall.

Since you say that Vyvanse has helped you a great deal and that you wish to continue it, you can consider the possibility of trying medication to tackle the Raynaud's-like symptoms. Vasodilators like Nifidepine or Diltiazem can be effective in controlling such symptoms. So, you can review with your rheumatologist and discuss these treatment options with him.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist