Taking valaciclovir for herpes zoster. CBC showed raised ESR level. Is this due to antibiotic?

Nov 2013

i was diagnoised with herpes zoster 3 weeks back and had valaciclovir 1000 mg thrice a day for 5 days. Two days back got my CBC done and my TLC is 0000 and ESR is 44- is it due to the antibiotics i hv taken-anything to worry ?? should i take any more medicines??
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 30 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your blood reports are not a cause of concern and there is no need to worry.

Valaciclovir is a standard medication for treating herpes zoster and is quite safe. In any case, the abnormal blood reports are not due to this.

A TLC of 0000 and ESR of 44 are slightly high and can occur due to a mild bacterial infection. If you have fever, it needs investigation. However, if you have no fever, you can wait and watch.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MBBS, MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)