Taking tyelenol for broken fibula. Is it safe to fly in this condition?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I just broke my fibula in Cancun playing volleyball and went to hospital. They gave me X-rays and it looks like a chipped fibula. My question is that is it ok to fly home to have surgery rather then get it done in Mexico. I have spoken with my GP and he stated to take Tylenol and fly back ASAP. They have me in a walking boot, any suggestions or anything I need to do other than that. I just want to make sure I am taking all the right precautions
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hello.
I have gone through the X XXXXXXX attached with the query.

You had fracture fibula lower 1/3 at ankle. It needs open reduction and internal fixation. It should be fixed as soon as possible, but it is not an acute emergency surgery,so it is ok to fly home to have surgery there if you are more comfortable.

I suggest you to follow the following precautions-

Keep your leg elevated. Do active movements of toes.

Watch for any swelling or discoloration of toes. If it occurs, please go to the ER immediately.

As your doctor had advised, you can take Tablet Tylenol 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Follow-up: Taking tyelenol for broken fibula. Is it safe to fly in this condition? 1 hour later
I am in walking boot, and it feels tight but I can't really see toes. I have taken Tylenol and have flight home at 8 am in 12 hours. Should I go to sleep or stay awake? I am nervous with this but did not feel comfortable going to surgery in Mexico. Any other precautions I should take? First time injured like this abroad, thanks Dr

PS: I am in walking boot and can send you pick if needed

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 28 minutes later
Hello Jellis,
Thanks for posting your query again.

Relax, if boot is too tight, it should be slightly loosened to prevent distal swelling.

You can take a good sleep with limb elevated. Put two pillows under your leg to keep it elevated.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.