Taking thyronorm regularly. Will this affect future pregnancy?

Question
My TSH level was about 9.0 and my T3 and T4 are normal. From then my doctor prescribed me to take thyronorm 50mcg. I tested every month and it is normal as it is showing 3.5 - 4:0. I am using my medication daily. I was just wondering will this affect getting pregnancy in future. I am really worried could you please suggest me anything in future.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in. It wont effect pregnancy in any way provided TSH is in the target range. Target recommended range for 1st trimester is < 2.5 and for 2nd and third < 3. Free T4 levels are to be upper half of normal. If these are maintained in the recommended range pregnancy or its outcome wont be affected by your thyroid problem infact thyroid problems are common during pregnancy. Dosage of thyronorm may need to be increased during pregnancy because requirements gor thyroxine increase by 30 to 50 % during pregnancy.
So dont worry nothing much to be scared about.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Taking thyronorm regularly. Will this affect future pregnancy? 1 hour later
Thank you for the information. Do i have to change my diet according to the thyroid (like i heard that we should not eat cabbage, cauliflower etc). What is the time gap for every test of thyroid? Is it safe to take emergency contraceptive pills? Will there be any side effects?? Do we have to take this thyronorm medication life long in order to maintain TSH levels? Thank you once again.
I appreciate your help.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Nothing specigic in diet except may be to aboid bulk quantities of cauliflower, cabbage, radish & soyabean. Every 3 months and during pregnancy every 6 weeks. You can take emergency OCP. There wont be any side effects with thyronorm. You may end up taking life long medication by all prabability. Follow up test results will determine this.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad