Taking thyronorm for thyroid problem. Can I plan for a child? Which specialist should I consult?

Question
I am using thyronorm for my thyroid problem diagnosed two years back. Its been an year that i havent got my thyroid levels checked. Could you suggest a specialist whom i can consult for thyroid problem in Bangalore.
Also i would like to know with this thyroid problem if i can plan for children. Does my body support at this age for children.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 31 hours later
Dear XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in. You should check your thyroid function ASAP. You can certainly plan pregnancy even at this age provided thyroid function test is in normal range as recommended specifically for pregnancy. Thyroid problem wont interfere adversely in any way in conception. Your age can still support pregnancy provided ovarian function is normal. However advanced age increases the chances of few complications and malformations. So its wise not to wait longer. There are many endocrinologists in Bangalore. You can consult me if its conbinient. Many women have delivered babies at this age. So dont worry.
Hope for the best.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Taking thyronorm for thyroid problem. Can I plan for a child? Which specialist should I consult? 9 hours later
Thank you XXXXXXX XXXXXXX What are the tests that i have to go through to check thyroid and ovarion function is normal?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Get thyroid profile. For other tests see an endocrinologist and a gynaecologost in person. Tests may vary depending on the assessment.
Shivaprasad