Taking sythroid. Can I take oxy elite pro for weight loss?

Sep 2012

I have no thyroid and take sythroid 75 mcg daily... Can i take oxy elite pro to shed a few pounds.
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 42 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, the drug you mentioned is known to be a new and nonofficial remedy for weight loss.

The drug contains some ingredients which are known to increase the thyroid hormone levels (T3 and T4) in blood. So, here comes the problem and point of concern.

You have told that you are taking synthyroid and you do not have thyroid. When you are taking thyroid supplements, then you are suffering from hypothyroidism. You were diagnosed as hypothyroid in past. It means, that you will have hypothyroidism for rest of your life.

A normal thyroid function test does not indicate that you do not have hypothyroidism. It indicates that you have to continue the medication as you are taking right now.

As you are taking 75 mcg of thyroid hormone supplement, there will be high chance to get an event of hyperthyroidism. Because of the dual effect of the Oxy elite pro and synthyroid.

From this point of view, you are not advised to go for oxy elite pro. If you want to take that drug after knowing all the possible side effects, you have to be under supervision of a medical practitioner.

So, think about it before starting this drug.

Moreover, to take this drug, you have to get clearance from your general physician. You cannot use my opinion as a clearance. You have to consult with your family physician.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.