Taking oxycontin for reflex sympathetic dystrophy. Have rotten teeth. Any thoughts?

Nov 2013

Good morning Dr. Grief, I have been taking Dr. prescribed Oxycontin in varying doses, NONSTOP for the last 12 years, due to SYSTEMIC REFLEX SYMPATHETIC DYSTROPHY. My question to you is this, I have read many articles and spoke to many patients going through the same thing.....ALL MY TEETH HAVE ROTTED & NOW REQUIRE ALMOST 100K IN DIRECT COSTS TO ME! Can you tell me ANYTHING about this? Thank you in advance.
Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand the discomfort you are facing on account of pain, and the rotten teeth.

I do not use much of OxyContin in my clinical practice. But some patients of mine who have used for long have all got dental caries and rotten teeth. So, I would believe that similar is the case with you too.

I hope it helps.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology)