Taking oxycodone for pain. Cannot tolerate NSAIDs, suggest alternative?

Hello; I am currently taking oxycodone IR (2/5 mg. tablets every 6 hours as needed. I was hit by a semi tractor trailer and I cannot tolerate NSAIDs because of an old stomach ulcer. I currently am taking between 1 and 3 5 milligram tablets per day. Is there any alternative I might try? I am very cautious about narcotics & have been to "pain clinics". At one time I had a pain pump implant & insisted it be turned OFF. I need a bit of pain control; but nother "over the top"; so to speak. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, XXXXXXX XXXXX
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Peptic Ulcer
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking.

Chronic pain management is mainly achieved by either NSAIDS or the opoid medicines as these are the only two group of the drugs to give the basic pain relief.

As you are not able to take NSAID the only viable option is the opoid for the round the clock pain protection.Among the opioids there can be different options , not only for the drugs but also for the route of the medicines.

There are certain Opioids which comes in weekly and daily patches and provide round the clock pain protection , you can talk to your doctor for that.

There is also SSRI and other anti depressant which can be added to the regimen to give pain relief.Exercise, Yoga and lot of other supplementary methods also help to curtail the load of pills.

Please let me know if you need more information.