Taking metronidazole. Noticed itching on mons pubis with a raised red bump. What's going on?

I am four days in on a seven day course of metronidazole and noticed itching on my mons pubis with a raised red bump. Are the two related or do I have something more serious going on?
Posted Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 36 minutes later
The raised eruption and itching are not the feature of metronidazole prima facie.
I need to know a bit details about why metronidazole was started.
Please put a follow up query with this detail.
Follow-up: Taking metronidazole. Noticed itching on mons pubis with a raised red bump. What's going on? 5 hours later
It was told I had tricomeniasis. The metronidazole was started to cure this.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 22 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Its possible that the Trichomonas was associated with a Candidal infection which could cause such a problem. Its unlikely to be related to the metronidazole as such. At this stage, you would need a Urine complete and culture examination and a gram stain and culture of the high vaginal swab.
If you test positive for Candida, then you can start using the Clotrimazole vaginal inserts for 5 nights. If not, you could ascribe it to some kind of allergy to some new soap/detergent/cloth that you have been using and this should respond to Tablet Allegra 180 mg one tablet once daily and calamine lotion applied locally.
Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Wish you a great health!