Taking metformin for type 2 diabetes. Started passing cloudy urine. What does this indicate?

Dec 2012

I'm a 66 yr old woman recently diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I'm taking Metformin 500 mg X2 daily. I eat no sugar, no refined carbs, only small amounts of vegetables and tiny amounts of fruit if at all. Today I ate a steak, no veggies. Tonight my urine was pretty cloudy afterward. What could this indicate?
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

The cloudy urine might just be a physiologic response due to you eating a steak and nothing you have to worry about. What you need to do now is observe again your urine for about 24-48hrs. Check for frequency, color (cloudy or not), odor etc any thing that you think might be of clinical interest to a doctor. If the cloudiness goes off and your urine frequency is normal, then you need not worry. But if you notice any abnormally, just see a doctor as soon as possible so a urine analysis and other tests can be done.

Hope this helps and wish you a better health.
Dr. Bernard