Taking medicine for vitamin D3 and B12 difficiency. How to get relief from sweating and numbness?

Psychiatrist
Question
I have numbness in my hands and feet in the early morning at the time of rising. It goes away once I move legs and feet. Somtimes there is sweating also. The numbness also happens when I am in a position when there is pressure on hands and legs.This is happening for last one year. I am deficient in vitamin D3 and B12 for which I am taking medicine. My Echo and Treadmill Stress test are nor
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Gourav Monga 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I appreciate your effort to seek online support.

First of all, let me tell you that you most probably are having “Peripheral Neuropathy” in which nerves of the peripheral nervous system are damaged.

Neuropathy usually causes pain and numbness in the hands and feet. It can result from traumatic injuries, infections, metabolic disorders, and exposure to toxins. One of the most common causes of neuropathy is diabetes.

It can be motor, sensory or autonomic neuropathy. Further, it may be classified as Mononeuropathy or Polyneuropathy.

Causes of neuropathy-
-     Diabetic neuropathy
-     Nerve entrapment/compression
-     Nutritional deficiency (Vit B12 in your case)
-     Alcoholic neuropathy
-     Carpal tunnel syndrome
-     Heavy metal poisoning
-     Infections like HIV/AIDS
-     Hypothyroidism
-     Multiple sclerosis
-     Circulatory disorders
-     Stroke
-     Generalized anxiety disorder
-     Panic attacks (Associated sweating)
-     Cervical spinal stenosis And many more……

As Echo and TMT were normal in your case, so any cardiac etiology is ruled out. However, you need other investigations like Blood Sugar, Hb1ac, Complete blood counts, MRI brain, Thyroid function tests etc.

In addition, in your case since you are already deficient in Vit B12, it may be the major cause and if your problem is persisting despite taking treatment, you should review your treatment and discuss it with your treating physician.

Apart from this, the following treatment strategies should be considered-

-     Adequate nutrition
-     Avoid alcohol/smoking
-     Treatment of diabetes
-     Antidepressants like SNRIs (Duloxetine) and TCAs (Amitryptiline)
-     Vitamin supplementation
-     Anti-anxiety agents for associated anxiety
-     Relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation
- Thyroid supplementation (if required)

Don’t worry and relax. Have faith in your treating doctor and get detailed work up with investigations so as to find exact etiology and management.

'Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer and leave a review. Wish you good health"

Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Taking medicine for vitamin D3 and B12 difficiency. How to get relief from sweating and numbness? 48 hours later
The numbness is temporary and goes once I move my Hands or Legs. It gives a feeling that it is related to circulation of Blood.

I am taking Neurobin forte as vit b12 supplement. Is this OK.

regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Gourav Monga 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Neurobion forte is fine. Continue taking it.

Yes, it could be due to some haemo-dynamic (circulatory) etiology or compressive neuropathy. But detailed work up and physical examination is necessary so as to suggest adequate treatment.

It could be a normal response to cold temperature. Secondly, Anxiety could also be a cause for its transient (temporary) nature. Try some relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation and XXXXXXX breathing.

Relax and don't worry. You will be alright after proper treatment.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer and leave a review. Wish you good health.

Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Taking medicine for vitamin D3 and B12 difficiency. How to get relief from sweating and numbness? 17 hours later
Sometimes I also have sweating in the morning. Again it stops once I move. These days being winter and the room temperature is around 10 - 12 degree. What could be the reason for this.

XXXXXXX

Hello XXXXXXX

It could be due to following reasons-

- Cardiac (Heart) disease/ TIAs (Transient Ischaemic attacks) etc

- Panic attacks (Intense anxiety attacks associated with impending doom)

Is there any other symptom which is bothering you other than numbness and sweating?

Get your cardiac work up again and try to relax yourself with relaxation exercises mentioned previously.