Taking medicine for uncontrolled diabetes. Looking alternative for istamet

Question
I have uncontrolled diabities since last 5 years, Now the doctor has priscribed 12 uint of Insulin in night , 1 istamet 50/1000 and 1 gluconorm G2 in morning before breakfast and 1 istamet 50/1000 , 1 gluconorm g2 and 1 ecosprin AV 75 before food in eveining , I am trying to find the alternate for istamet 50/1000 which does not have any additional side effect, as it is very costly and I found on net some similar composition in less price, Can you please suggest some options
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. Istamet is a combination of sitagliptin and metformin. Unfortunately the sitagliptin is expensive and there is no cheaper substitute without compromising quality. Another thing is you are taking 3 gm of metformin but the recommended XXXXXXX dose is 2.5 gm. If you dont want to take istamet you can take plain metformin 1g twice daily but will have to take premix insulin twice daily.
So my recommendation is:
1gm metformin sustained release twice daily
Glimeperide 2mg twice daily
Twice daily premix insulin dose will have to be titrated to maintain FBS< 130, PPBS < 180mg%
Hope this helps,
Shivaprasad