Taking medication for pain, cramping, anxiety from bipolar disorder and nausea. Developing anxiety when narco is taken. Alternative medicine?

Excellent

Question
I take fentanyl 75 q3 days and norco 10/325 up to 4 times per day for pain, as well as hyoscyamine er .325mh q12h for cramping and phenergan 25mg q4h for nausea.
I also take ativan 1mg bid prn for anxiety from bipolar disorder

I have recently begun to develop anxiety when I take the norco, where I never have had this before. I can't be taking ativan every time I take a Norco.

Are there other pain medication options? Have you ever heard of Norco causing anxiety?

WOuld percocet be a viable alternative?
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, percocet is less noted for this.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this recent anxiety episodes with norco. Norco is noted to cause anxiety and this could very much be the case. Percocet, though equally efficacious is less notorious for anxiety as a side effect. It may be a reasonable replacement for norco. Taking ativan all the times can be so disturbing and I do understand your frustration.

What other options are there for you?
The truth with pain medication is that none works the same for all patients and we never know what the best option for a particular patient is. We always try different options/combinations and doses to finally work out a plan that works best for each client. Since norco has started being a problem, trying another substitute and following through to make sure you enjoy a pain free life is a good thing to do.

I will suggest that you talk with your doctor about these difficulties with norco. Together you both would be able to work out another good plan for you.

I hope this helps and addresses your query fully.
Clarifications are welcome.
I wish you the best of health a positive outcome with figuring a solution around these medications.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Taking medication for pain, cramping, anxiety from bipolar disorder and nausea. Developing anxiety when narco is taken. Alternative medicine? 23 hours later
Dear Dr. Ditah,
Thank you for your kind answer. I am never pain free, and my pain goal is to be relatively comfortable. A 2 or 3 is fine on the pain scale. I can live with that.

Yes, I wil work with my physician to find a solution, and I will make a copy of our conversation for her to see.

I have another question.

At one time I took hydromorphone for this condition, 2 mg every three hours. Is this the same as 10/325 of norco? I have taken more than this of the hydromorphone, but I want an equivalent dose, not to be too medicated. May I ask your opinion? Are the 2mg of hydromorphone and 10/325 of Norco equivalent? Would I have to take the hydromorphone more often?

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words.

Hydromorphone and norco are not the same drug. They contain different active pains medications. However, the are all powerful pain medications belonging to the same level for the management of severe pain.

Hydromorphone is typically taken every 3-4hours for the immediate release tablets. The extended release tablets can be taken once daily. I think the dosing interval for you was fine. However, if this 2mg dose fails to control your pain, I would suggest that your doctor titrates the dosage to find a safe adequate dose that can control your pain to acceptable levels. Like I mentioned before, there is no standard size that fits all for pain medications but a continuous effort to identify what the best drug, dosage, interval, etc is for each patient.
Starting is fine, but monitoring and making adjustments to get the pain controlled is better. 2mg would be a good starting point and adjustments would be made accordingly.

I hope this addresses your query fully.
I wish you well and feel free to return for more clarification if need be.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Taking medication for pain, cramping, anxiety from bipolar disorder and nausea. Developing anxiety when narco is taken. Alternative medicine? 22 minutes later
Does the hysromorphone (Dilaudid) have a high incednce of anxiety?

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NO

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for this follow up question.
Dr. Ditah, MD