Taking medication for acute psychosis. Will it be cured completely by medication?

Psychiatrist
Question
Sir,I am a acute psychosis patient from 2004 and I have been taking medicine(Arpizol-5mg.Oliza-10mg)
from 2004 and till now my medication is running.My age is 31.Now I am going to marry a girl.Is it right or not.Will she accept my medication if i don't inform her before marrige.
DEAR SIR CAN I MARRY HER WITHOUT INFORMING HER ABOUT MY DISEASE...IF I CONTINUE MY MEDICATION WILL IT RETURN BACK IN FUTURE AND HAMPER MY MARRIED LIFE.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Gourav Monga 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to Health Care Magic and thanks for your query.

I can understand what you are going through and as a psychiatrist, I am able to empathize with you.

Acute psychosis is an acute onset (within 2 weeks) condition characterized by delusions, hallucinations, disorganized behavior etc. First episode of acute psychosis requires at least 1 year treatment. But in case of second episode, 2-5 years treatment is required. However, life long treatment is advisable if more than one episode occurs.

In your case, you have been rightly advised long term treatment by your doctor. Arpizol 5mg contains Aripiprazole and Oliza 10 mg contains Olanzapine. Both are antipsychotic drugs used in acute psychosis. As you are stabilized on this medication, do not stop or change your medication without consulting your doctor as you might have relapse of the condition. With continuous treatment, you can lead a healthy normal life.

Regarding your marriage, there is nothing to get worried about. You can easily get married just like other human beings but YOU HAVE TO INFORM your life partner about your disease. It makes no sense to start this relation without telling her about your disease. She will surely understand you. If you will tell all this after your marriage, it may hamper your married life.

Relax, don’t worry at all as you are absolutely normal to lead a healthy married life but be true to your partner as well as your treating doctor and I again advise you to continue the medication as advised.

Wish you a happy and healthy married life.
Good Luck

Dr. Gourav Monga
Consultant Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Taking medication for acute psychosis. Will it be cured completely by medication? 51 minutes later
Thanks Sir.......

Answered by Dr. Gourav Monga 10 hours later
Welcome XXXXXXX

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.