Taking medication for ADHD and not showing any signs of puberty. Should I consult a doctor?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
My son just turned 15. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and currently takes medication. He also takes desmopressen for bedwetting, and wets the bed when he forgets to take his medication. My concern is that he hasn't shown any signs of the onset of puberty. When should I take him into the doctor?
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should consult a doctor now.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

In boys, an unusually late puberty is diagnosed if there are no signs of testicular development by 14 years of the age or if there is no pubic hair by the age of 15 years.

If your son has no pubic hair growth so far and has had no increase in the size of testis, then you should take him to the doctor now so that appropriate tests can be conducted. The treatment of delayed puberty depends on the cause found.

Please also find out if there is a history of delayed puberty in the family, as this is often a common reason.

Hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry