Taking lyrica, cymbalta, tradol, cataflam and Arava. Found to be Pregnant. Is it safe?

Mar 2016

Hi, I am currently taking 200mg lyrica, 60mg of cymbalta, tradol, cataflam and 20mg of ARAVA since august 1st 2013

I have today found out I am 1-2 days pregnant as per digital pregnancy test, last period was august 7th, obviously this was not planned, I have 3 healthy chidren

I am very worried about continuing with this pregnancy, risk of abnormality etc

Advice please would be appreciated
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Risk Is there but Need to Confirm. Do one TVS scan

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

First of all, above mentioned drugs including painkiller (like TRADOL, CATAFLAM) are contraindicated during pregnancy. No external medications are recommended except essential and safe drugs, specially in the first trimester as it is the most vulnerable period for growing fetus and organogenesis takes place in this time.

As per your last menstrual period date (August 7th), you are currently 6 weeks pregnant and you just confirm your pregnancy today. You have continued the above drugs while fetal organogenesis have started from 5th week onwards. So, fetal risk or birth defect is there but it needs to confirm through ultrasound and anomaly scan. Now, you should discontinue all above drugs and take just folic acid & vitamin supplements regularly if you want to continue this pregnancy.

Second thing, you must undergo one Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan (TVS) at the earliest to get detailed picture of the growing fetus including fetal heart beat. It is a sign of healthy pregnancy at early stage.

After that, some other investigation like 1) Nuchal Translucency & Double marker test (9-13 weeks), 2) TRIPLE or QUADRUPLE test (14-20 wk), 3) Amniocentesis (15-20 wk), 4) TIFFA scan ( 18-23 wk), 5) Repeated ultrasound scan etc are to be done to eliminate gross and minor fetal anomaly (if any). If you get positive result on test reports, then you can definitely carry this pregnancy.

For healthy pregnancy, you would take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet (extra 350 Kcal/ day than usual), drink plenty of fluids or water, take adequate bed rest, avoid heavy work/ long journey/ steeping uneven surface/ high heal shoe, maintain genital hygiene properly etc. Do not take any non-prescribed medication.

Kindly, visit to your gynecologist at the earliest and do periodic check up with above mentioned tests and anomaly scan for assessment of fetal well being.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience and answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Taking lyrica, cymbalta, tradol, cataflam and Arava. Found to be Pregnant. Is it safe? 34 minutes later
Thank You Very Much

I have stopped arava with the last 2 days, as I was suspicious of pregnancy

Do I need to arrange taking "wash out" medication for arava?

As of today, I have not taken tradol, can I stop 200mg of lyrica, without reducing down?? also regarding cymbalta, do i stop immediately??

Also regarding scanning, how early on can abnormalities be detected??

I have read in tests that rodents were found to be defected, blind & deaf, can this be detected ??

Also as I am only on arava since August 1st does this reduce risk??

I am in XXXXXXX so if abortion is required I would have to travel to uk, I have 3 very healthy children, and as you are aware I have horrible conditions

In all honesty would it be best to terminate, or is there a good chance baby may be ok??

the funny thing about all this, is husband had booked in for vasectomy in a weeks time

I would hate to terminate a pregnancy that is ok, but would not cope with a baby that is not well,

Please advise honestly
Answered by Dr. S Patra 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do one TVS scan at first. Follow the guideline.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up query. Followings are my comments:

1) At this stage of pregnancy, arranging for wash out of ARAVA medication is not a good idea as it may cause harmful effect to growing baby. However, you should discontinue the medicine at the earliest.

2) All your current medication should be stopped in the first trimester and up to 16 weeks. After that, if any medication is required, you can take only after consultation with your doctor following overall assessment and test reports.

3) Regarding anomaly scan, I have already mentioned the test name and when you have to undergo them according to gestational age. Just go through my previous text and hopefully, they will be able to detect any kind of gross and minor anomaly. But, you should undergo one TVS scan at the earliest without any delaying. Kindly, contact with your healthcare provider.

4) Yes, congenital anomaly or birth defect can be detected by above mentioned tests and you have to undergo them serially as I have described according to gestational age. Best test is amniocentesis which is done around 15th to 20th weeks and it is invasive. However, other tests are quite effective for the same. Just go ahead with your pregnancy and do relevant scan & check up.

5) ARAVA is totally contraindicated in pregnancy and you should stop it at the earliest. Don't take it if you want a healthy pregnancy.

6) First, do one TVS scan and proceed initial check up to your doctor. It will build up confidence on carrying the current pregnancy. After that, you would need to undergo anomaly scan one by one as I have mentioned. If you get all positive result on test report, then you can definitely continue this pregnancy and there is no need to terminate this. Leave the rest part to the wish of God.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck. God bless you.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Taking lyrica, cymbalta, tradol, cataflam and Arava. Found to be Pregnant. Is it safe? 8 minutes later
Thank You

I will visit my G.P and arrange these tests

Thank You

Please God all will be ok, I can for sure be ok with another baby, But as you can imagine very worried about abnormalities

I will talk to GP ASAP

Thanks xx
Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome. Good luck.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for response.

Go ahead with your pregnancy and god will be with you.

Dr Soumen