Taking losartan for high bp, antibiotic for cold, cough and sore throat. Can I take cilacar instead losartan?

I was taking losartan50 tablets for high blood pressure problem.As I have a tendency of getting frequent cough and cold and sore throat problems for which I use antibiotics, decongestant tablets.I searched on the Internet about the side effects of losartan 50 tablets and found that losartan 50 do cause cold related problems besides other side effects.I asked my doctor to change my BP tablet and he has changed it to cilacar 10.Now I want to know whether cilacar10 is free from side effects and I can continue with this drug or suggest me a BP tablet with least side effects.I am 56 yrs and my BP was 140/90 when I was not on medicine.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 57 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Cilacar is cilnidipine - a calcium Channel Blocker (CCB).
It is free from this side effect...

Cough is common side effect of Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitors (ACEI).
- due to higher bradykinin, from ACE inhibition.
It is rare with Angiotensin Receptor Blocker (ARB) like losartan

Cilacar is totally different class / NO RELATION to it.
You can continue confidently.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck