Taking levothyroxine. Thyroid test results are normal. Any suggestion?

Hi, my last TSH 3rd generation thyroid test result was .38. When I first called to ask about the results the nurse said it was 'low', but my Dr. then told me that it is considered normal. Which is correct? I feel like I might be a bit low. I've been taking levothyroxine for years (I had Graves disease and was treated with radiation.) I was stable for years, but at 50 (I'm 53 now.) my levels started to fluctuate and I've been trying to get my meds to the right level. I'm taking 125 mcg 6 days per week of levothyroxine.

Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXX, thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

In hypothyroidism, free thyroxine will be low and TSH will be elevated.
Normal TSH level ranges between 0.4 to 4miU/L. Normal free T4 value is 0.7 to 1.86 ng/dL and free T3 level is 145 to 348pg/dL.

Your TSH level is 0.38 and your Doctor is right. The value may be considered as normal but on lower physiological limit.

In hypothyroidism, Levothyroxine is started at a dose of 50 mcg daily, and increased every 2 to 3 weeks up to a maximum of 100 to 200 mcg per day. The dose is fixed (individualized) depending upon the clinical response and serum TSH levels.

After consulting your treating Doctor, you can take Levothyroxine 125 mcg on all seven days a week instead of six days “if you feel the symptoms of hypothyroidism".

I hope this helps.