Taking levo 0.5. Test showed TSH in normal range and t3 low. Is this normal?

I had TSH of 10.7 put on levo .5 about two months now TSH is in normal range but t3 is low. Is that normal.
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 27 hours later
The T3 levels should ideally be in the normal range and this indicates that the levothyroxine dose may have to be adjusted. But before doing that, I would like to repeat the tests to make sure that these reports do not indicate a laboratory error. Please see your physician and get a fresh test ordered. If the reports are still the same, we may want to adjust the dose of levothyroxine.
Also, I would want to know about the free Thyroxine levels.
Hope that helps. let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: Taking levo 0.5. Test showed TSH in normal range and t3 low. Is this normal? 21 hours later
Free t4 1.2. Total t4 8.2. TSH 2.08 total t3 69.2. Done at the same lab as first my TSH was 10.7. Range .35 - 5.5. Surgery for next week. Just want to know what the scores mean. Working with a dr who didn't feel the need to do ultra sound or the biopsy. I try to be proactive as possible which requires knowledge if hadn't insisted on biopsy cancer may not have been detected for a year with next physical. Perhaps PTC with hurthl cell is not a major concern?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 10 hours later
Papillary cancer is rarely picked up by a fine needle aspiration cytology. We usually get a better picture when we send a larger sample to pathology. A biopsy or a surgery is a better option in that regard. Since you already did have PTC, chances of recurrence are minimal since this is usually a cancer which is not very aggressive.
Both the free T4 and T4 lie within the normal range. The T3 is lower which indicates lower peripheral conversion. Are you receiving any other drug apart from levothyroxine?
Its possible that thyroxine is not getting converted optimally into thyronine (T3) and I dont think you need to be worried about that. The T3 is not significantly abnormal for me to start worrying about it. Also, this is also sometimes seen in a non thyroidal illness syndrome but I dont think that is the case here.
In all, I think you're fine as far as the thyroid status is concerned and the surgery should go off smoothly
Hope that helps
Let me know if I can answer any more questions